1. In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter together. Add molasses and water.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, ginger, and allspice. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet and blend until the dough holds together.
3. Cover and chill for 2-3 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
5. Roll out dough 1/4" thick on a lightly floured surface.
6. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters and transfer to cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheets or cooling racks.
8. Using the white decorating icing, decorate the cookies with "bones" so that they resemble skeletons.
Makes about 15-20 cookies, depending on the size of the cookie cutters.
From The Secret Life of Food by Clare Crespo.
Date: October 4, 2006