1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks/8 oz./226g) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fluffy White Frosting (see recipe below)
Pink jimmies, edible glitter, sparkling sugar or sanding sugar, for decorating tops of cupcakes* (see note)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
2. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
3. In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about three-quarters full. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
5. Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack. Once cupcakes have cooled completely frost and decorate with decorating sugar, pink jimmies or both.
Makes 24 cupcakes.
Fluffy White Frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick/4 oz./113g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3-5 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon clear imitation vanilla extract
In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy, about 30 seconds. Gradually beat in 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar. Beat in 3 tablespoons of the milk and the vanilla. Gradually beat in the remaining 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar and continue to beat until the frosting reaches a spreadable consistency, adding up to 2 tablespoons more milk if necessary.
Spread the frosting generously over the cupcakes or transfer the frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe a generous swirl of frosting onto each cupcake. The frosted cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Edible glitter or Sanding or Sparkling sugar may be purchased at some large supermarkets, at baking supply stores and online at Kitchen Krafts: http://www.kitchenkrafts.com, or at other online baking and cooking supply stores.
Makes 24 cupcakes.
Date: September 1, 2006-Recipe revised on October 19, 2006