For the Crust:
5 to 6 oz. shortbread biscuits or cookies, crushed into fine crumbs
2 1/2 oz. (70g) butter, melted
1 1/2 oz. demerara sugar
For the Filling:
6 oz. semisweet chocolate
10 oz. heavy cream
8 oz. (usually sold in an 8 oz. tub) mascarpone cheese
1 tbsp. strong espresso coffee, or 2 tsp. instant coffee granules dissolved in 1 tbsp. hot water
Cocoa powder, for dusting top of cheesecake
1. Combine the ingredients for the crust and press into the bottom of a 8 inch (20 cm) springform pan. Place in the refrigerator.
2. Place the cream, chocolate and coffee in a saucepan. Melt over a very low heat stirring regularly. Remove from the heat and whisk in the mascarpone cheese. Allow to cool completely at room temperature.
3. Once cooled, pour the chocolate mixture over the prepared crust. Return to the refrigerator for 2-3 hours (or overnight) to set completely.
4. Remove from the refrigerator and dust lightly with cocoa powder.
5. Run a knife dipped in hot water around the edge of the cheesecake to loosen. Cut into wedges and serve.
Makes 8-10 servings.
Date: August 15, 2006