2 cups granulated sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups cold coffee
Chocolate Frosting (optional) see recipe below
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C). Grease two 9-inch round cake pans or one 9 x 13-inch rectangular cake pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together sugar, flour, salt, cocoa and baking soda. Add vinegar, oil, vanilla and coffee and mix well.
3. Pour batter into prepared cake pan (s).
4. Bake in preheated 325 degree F oven for 30-35 minutes.
5. Remove pan (s) from oven and let cool on wire racks for 15 minutes. Invert cake (s) onto racks and let cool completely.
6. If desired, frost with Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows).
Lactose Free Chocolate Frosting
2 ounces melted unsweetened chocolate
2 tablespoons (dairy-free) margarine
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon water, extra water if necessary
Using electric mixer, beat melted chocolate, margarine, salt, vanilla, the 1 tablespoon of water, and 1 cup of the sugar until mixed well. Gradually add the rest of the sugar beating well. Add water a little at a time until the frosting is a good spreadable consistency.