1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup ground almonds (about 1 1/2 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick/3 oz/85g) butter, softened
2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 tablespoon rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract
1/2 cup apricot preserves, melted
For the Glaze
2/3 cup heavy cream
6 ounces (6 squares) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons (1 oz/28g) butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
For the Topping and Garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 12 standard size muffin-pan cups or line with paper liners. Dust with flour; tap out excess.
2. Mix together flour, granulated sugar, nuts, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Beat together butter and brown sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. At low speed, beat in milk, melted chocolate, and rum. Beat flour mixture into milk mixture until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan, filling cups three-quarters full.
4. Bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Turn cupcakes out onto rack to cool completely.
5. Brush melted preserves over cupcakes. Let stand until set, 30 minutes.
6. To prepare glaze, in a medium saucepan, heat cream, chocolate, butter, and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate melts and mixture boils. Remove from heat; let stand for 1 minute. Stir vigorously until mixture thickens. Spread glaze evenly over cupcakes. Let stand until set.
7. Using a pastry bag fitted with a star tip, pipe whipped cream rosettes on top. Garnish with a candied violet in the center of each rosette.
Makes 1 dozen.
Date: January 5, 2005