10-12 saffron strands
2 teaspoons hot water
12 ounces (350 grams) sugar
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks/12 oz/350g) butter, softened
12 ounces (350 grams) all-purpose flour, sifted
2 heaping teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons orange flower water
You will need:
Kitchen scale, sieve, wooden spoon, measuring spoons, mixing bowl, baking parchment paper and a wire cooling rack.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C/Gas Mark 5.
2. In a cup or small bowl, set the saffron to infuse in the hot water.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs.
4. Stir in the saffron water, then mix in the sugar.
5. Add the softened butter to the egg mixture and mix together well, using a wooden spoon.
6. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder.
7. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat thoroughly forming a smooth, creamy mixture.
8. Mix in the orange flower water.
9. Transfer the mixture to a greased and parchment paper lined 8-inch (20cm) cake pan with removable bottom.
10. Bake for 50 minutes until set and risen. Cool on a wire rack. Serve each slice at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream on the side.
Makes one (8-inch) cake.
Source: Gioconda Scott from Gioconda Scott's Paradise Kitc
Date: November 28, 2004