1/2 cup (1 stick/4 oz/113g) butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 ounces white or semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 cup coarsely chopped, toasted whole almonds
1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
White or semi-sweet chocolate
1. Beat butter with sugar and eggs. Beat in melted chocolate.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into butter mixture. Stir in remaining ingredients until well blended. Dough will be sticky.
3. Divide dough in half and spoon onto 2 greased and lightly floured baking sheets, shaping each into a long log, about 2 inches wide.
4. Bake at 350°F (180 C) for 30 minutes on upper rack of oven until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes. Cut logs into 3/4 inch wide slices.
5. Return cookies to baking sheets, cut side down and bake 20 minutes longer, turning once during baking. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks. If desired dip or drizzle with melted dark or white chocolate.
Makes 2 dozen biscotti cookies.
These cookies store for up to two weeks in an airtight container or can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Date: October 27, 2004