1 cup (2 sticks/8 oz/226g) butter, softened
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 whole eggs
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
4 egg yolks, divided
4 teaspoons water, divided
Red, yellow, blue and green liquid food colorings
1. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl at high speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add whole eggs, orange peel and vanilla; mix until well blended.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in another large bowl. Add half of flour mixture to butter mixture; mix at low speed until well blended. Add sour cream; mix well. Add remaining flour mixture; mix well.
3. Divide dough into 4 equal sections. Cover; refrigerate several hours or overnight.
4. Place 1 egg yolk in each of 4 separate bowls. Add 1 teaspoon water and food coloring to each; beat lightly. Set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Roll 1 section of dough on well-floured surface to 12-inch circle. Carefully transfer to inverted 1-1/2-quart ovenproof bowl. Press overlapping portions of dough together; trim edges. Paint sides of bowl as desired, using small, clean craft paintbrushes and egg yolk paint.
6. Place bowl on wire rack and then on cookie sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on bowl.
7. Roll remaining dough on well-floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with fruit-shaped cookie cutters. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Paint as desired with egg yolk paint.
8. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Makes 1 cookie bowl and 4 dozen cookies.
Date: October 9, 2004