1 store-bought sponge cake or pound cake, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
4 oz. canned pineapple slices in juice
1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and sliced
Grated zest and juice of 2 oranges
1/2 cup granulated sugar
10 fl oz. heavy cream
2 tbsp. Cointreau or other orange liqueur (optional)
1. Line the bottom and halfway up the sides of a glass serving bowl with the sponge or pound cake cubes.
2. Drain the pineapple, reserving juice. Pour 3 tbsp. of the reserved juice over the sponge cake or pound cake cubes to moisten.
3. Arrange pineapple and mango slices over the sponge cake or pound cake cubes.
4. Mix the grated orange zest and orange juice with the sugar and stir until dissolved.
5. Whip the cream until thick, then beat in the orange jucie and sugar mixture (and Cointreau, if using). Pour over the fruit and sponge cake or pound cake cubes; cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
6. Before serving decorate top of trifle with a sprig of mint and curls of orange zest.
Makes 6-8 servings.
Date: July 23, 2004