1 whole cantaloupe melon
1/4 of a whole watermelon
2 white nectarines or white peaches
2 dozen fresh cherries
2 cups whipped cream or frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
Freshly grated nutmeg
1. Set aside a large mixing bowl.
2. Cut cantaloupe in half and scoop out seeds with a spoon. With a melon baller, scoop out balls of cantaloupe. Place in mixing bowl.
3. With a melon baller, scoop out balls of watermelon, removing any seeds and place balls in mixing bowl.
4. Peel nectarines (or peaches), slice in half and remove pits. Slice fruit into small cubes (about 1/2-inch in size). Place in mixing bowl.
5. Rinse and dry cherries; cut in half and remove pits. Place in mixing bowl.
6. Toss fruits gently; cover bowl and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
7. Right before you are ready to serve the fruit salad, make the whipped cream topping. Add grated nutmeg and sugar (to taste) to whipped cream (if using non-dairy whipped topping, only add grated nutmeg).
8. Spoon fruit into pretty dessert bowls or glasses and top each serving with a dollop of Nutmeg-Cream Topping.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Photograph taken by Diana Baker Woodall© 2004
Date: July 4, 2004