2 cups all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 cup granulated sugar
scraping from 1 vanilla bean
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick/2 oz./56 gm) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 ounce unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour a 9-inch bundt or tube cake pan.
2. Sift flour and salt into bowl and set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, combine eggs and sugar. Beat at medium speed 5-6 minutes until a ribbon forms when you remove whip from batter. Whisk in vanilla bean scraping.
4. Gently fold flour mixture into egg mixture 1/3 at a time. Gently fold in melted butter, walnuts and cranberries. Pour 2/3 of the batter into prepared bundt pan.
5. Fold cocoa powder into remaining batter and spoon on top of white batter. Drag a butter knife through batters to create a marble effect. Bake 35-40 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and cool on bakers rack.
6. When cake is cool, drizzle with your favorite toppings, such as butterscotch sauce, chocolate sauce, strawberries and fresh whipped cream.
Makes 10-12 servings.
Date: April 10, 2004