2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar, to coat candied peel
Bittersweet dark chocolate, melted for dipping (optional)
1. Using a sharp knife, remove peel from oranges in long strips. Cut strips into 1 1/2-inch long by 1/4-inch wide pieces.
2. Place orange peel in a sauce pan and cover with water. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer with lid off for 7 minutes. Drain water and discard.
3. Bring 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water to a boil. Add poached orange peel. Reduce heat and simmer peel until liquid has reduced to a syrupy consistency. Allow peel to cool in syrup.
4. When peel has cooled, remove from syrup and drain on wire rack. Once peel has drained, roll in granulated sugar and place back on wire rack to dry overnight.
5. Store candied orange peel in an airtight container.
For a tasty variation, dip the end of the peel in bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate.
Date: April 10, 2004