2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons shortening
2 beaten eggs
1/3 cup milk
Cooking oil for frying
Sugar, Cinnamon Sugar, or Cinnamon-Sugar Syrup (see recipes below)
1. In a mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar. Cut in shortening until thoroughly combined. Make a well in center of flour mixture.
2. In a small mixing bowl combine eggs and milk. Add to flour mixture all at once. Stir just until dough clings together.
3. On a lightly floured surface knead dough about 2 minutes or until smooth. Divide dough into 24 equal portions; shape each portion into a ball. Cover dough and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
4. In a heavy 10-inch skillet heat 3/4 inch oil to 375 degrees F (190 C). Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 4-inch circle.
5. Fry 1 circle at a time in hot oil for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with sugar or Cinnamon Sugar, or drizzle with Cinnamon-Sugar syrup or maple syrup.
Makes 24 Buñuelos.
In a mixing bowl stir together 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
In a small saucepan combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon corn syrup, and 3 inches stick cinnamon or dash ground cinnamon. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and boil gently, without stirring, about 20 minutes or until thick. Discard cinnamon stick.
Makes about 2/3 cup syrup.
Date: April 8, 2004