1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
2. Stir together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if desired.
3. Stir whipping cream into flour mixture, stirring just until ingredients are moistened.
4. Turn mixture out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently until soft dough forms (about 2 minutes). Pat dough into 4-1/2 x 16-inch rectangle about 1-1/4 inches high. Divide rectangle into 12 smaller rectangles each measuring 1-1/2 by 4 inches. Cut each rectangle diagonally, forming a total of 24 triangles.* Transfer triangles to prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with additional sugar.
5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm, sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Makes 24 scones.
Rectangles can also be cut crosswise into smaller rectangles about 1-1/2 by 2 inches.
Date: February 27, 2004