2 firm-ripe pears (about 1 lb. total)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
6 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup mascarpone cheese or whipped cream cheese
1 to 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1. Rinse, peel, and core pears. Cut fruit into 1/2-inch chunks.
2. In a 9 to 10-inch ovenproof nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, melt butter; add pears and turn occasionally until lightly browned and tender when pierced, 7 to 8 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk to blend eggs, milk, flour, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt. Remove frying pan from heat and pour egg mixture over pears.
4. Bake in a 425° (220°C) oven until frittata is golden brown and set in center when pan is gently shaken, 8 to 12 minutes.
5. Cut into wedges to serve. Spoon dollops of cheese onto portions and sprinkle with brown sugar.
Makes 4 servings.
Source: Sunset Magazine
Date: November 23, 2003