2/3 cup (1 1/3 sticks/5 1/3 oz/10 tbsp. + 2 tsp./150g) butter
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup light or dark corn syrup
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, or semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
1. Melt butter in medium saucepan; remove from heat.
2. Stir in oats, sugar, flour, corn syrup, milk, vanilla extract and salt; mix well.
3. Drop by level teaspoon, about 3 inches apart, onto foil-lined baking sheets.
4. Spread thinly with rubber spatula.
5. Bake in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Cool on baking sheets on wire racks.
7. Peel foil from cookies.
8. Microwave chips or pieces of chocolate in medium, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; stir.
9. Microwave at additional 10 to 20 second intervals, stirring until smooth.
10. Spread thin layer of melted chocolate onto flat side of half the cookies.
11. Top with remaining cookies.
Makes approximately 42 cookies.
Date: Februarey 23, 2002