1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix together flour, baking soda and salt.
3. Place chocolate and butter in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium (50% power) for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds more or until chocolate is softened. Stir until smooth and let cool.
4. Combine eggs, sugars and vanilla in mixing bowl. Beat for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored, using electric mixer at high speed. Fold some of the egg mixture into cooled chocolate mixture to lighten it. Then fold chocolate mixture into remaining egg mixture. Fold in dry ingredients. Stir in chopped chocolate and pecans.
5. Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons, about 1 1/2 inches apart, onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are set on top and no imprint remains when touched lightly with finger.
6. Cool cookies on baking sheets on wire racks for about 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Inspired by a recipe from Chef Susan Notter.
Source: Godiva Chocolatier
Date: October 14, 2003