2 packages (4 1/2 tsp./1/2 oz./14g) active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
6-7 cups all-purpose flour
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine yeast and 1/2 cup warm water. Stir until dissolved. Add remaining warm water, butter, sugar and salt. Stir until mixed.
2. Add 6-7 cups of flour and mix* (see note below) until blended. Add enough of the remaining flour until dough forms a smooth ball that is slightly sticky to the touch.
3. Place dough in a large, greased bowl. Cover and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
4. Punch dough down, divide in half, and shape into loaves. Place loaves into two 9 x 5-inch greased loaf pans and let rise until double in size, about an hour.
5. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 40 minutes.
Use mixer equipped with dough hook.
Makes 2 (9 x 5-inch) loaves.
Source: Recipe adapted from Hamilton Beach
Date: February 22, 2002