5 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar or 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 pkg. plain yellow cake mix
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons orange juice
For the Cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160 C).
2. Place egg whites and cream of tartar (or lemon juice) in a medium bowl. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes. Do not overbeat.
3. Place cake mix, egg yolks, orange juice, oil, orange juice concentrate and orange rind in a large bowl. Beat on low speed 1 minute. Stop machine and scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes; batter should look well blended.
4. Turn beaten egg whites out on top of batter; fold whites into batter until mixture is light but well combined, with no white streaks remaining. Pour batter into ungreased 10 inch tube pan, smoothing top.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and top of cake springs back when lightly pressed with tip of finger. Remove pan from oven and immediately turn upside down on the neck of a glass bottle to cool for one hour. Run long sharp knife around edge of cake; invert onto wire rack; then invert again onto serving platter, right side up.
For the Glaze:
Place confectioners sugar and orange juice in medium bowl. Beat on low speed 1 minute. Spread glaze over top and sides of cake. Let glaze set for 20 minutes. Slice and serve.
Makes 12 servings.
Source: Family Circle Magazine
Date: August 4, 2003