3 packages (11 ounces each) pie crust mix* (see note below)
1 cup cold water
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons lemon extract
2 cans (29 ounces each) sliced peaches in syrup, undrained* (see note below about fresh or frozen peaches substitution)
1. Heat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Stir 1 package pie crust mix and 1/3 cup of the cold water until mixture forms a ball. Flatten ball; roll into rectangle, 11 x 8 inches. Cut into 4 strips, 11 x 2 inches each. Place strips on ungreased cookie sheet; bake 18 minutes. Set aside.
2. Stir 1 package pie crust mix and 1/3 cup of the cold water until mixture forms a ball. Flatten ball; roll to fit bottom and sides of ungreased rectangular or oval baking dish, 13 x 9 x 2 inches. Place in dish; set aside.
3. Stir together sugar, butter, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, lemon extract and peaches (with syrup from can) in large bowl. Pour half of mixture in baking dish. Arrange the 4 pastry strips on top. Pour remaining half of peach mixture on top.
4. Stir 1 package pie crust mix and remaining 1/3 cup cold water until mixture forms a ball. Flatten ball; roll to fit on top of mixture in baking dish. Cut several holes or slits in crust. Place crust on top of mixture in baking dish; seal to edges of dish.
5. Bake about 60 - 75 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Top with ground cinnamon and vanilla ice cream. Store covered in refrigerator.
Pie Crust Mix Substitution:
If you wish, you may substitute 3 refrigerated pie crusts (such as Pillsbury) for the 3 packages of pie crust mix in this recipe. There are 2 crusts to a package of Pillsbury pie crusts, so you would need 2 pacakges. You will have 1 crust left over.
Fresh or Frozen Peaches Substitution:
You may substitute frozen peaches for the 2 cans of sliced peaches in this recipe. You will need approximately 6 cups of frozen peaches, thawed. Fresh peaches may also be used, but make sure the peaches are ripe and definitely not too firm. You may want to add more sugar to the recipe if you are using fresh peaches, or if using frozen peaches that are not frozen in their own syrup.
Makes 8 servings.
Photograph taken by Diana Baker Woodall © 2003
Date: June 12, 2003