1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon milk
Fine dry bread crumbs
Jam (use any flavor jam or use 2 different flavors, such as raspberry, or raspberry and strawberry)
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in granulated sugar and vanilla. Add flour; beat until combined. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill dough in refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
2. Remove dough from refrigerator. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of cookie dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using 2 1/2-inch to 3-inch cookie cutters (or cut out cookies with a knife or pastry wheel) cut each half of cookie dough into (24) cookies of equal amount shapes such as hearts, diamonds, pear or teardrop shape cookies. You will now have 48 cut out cookies. Place cookies on 1 or 2 ungreased cookie sheets.
4). In a small bowl, mix egg yolk and milk. Brush onto tops of cookies; sprinkle lightly with bread crumbs.
5. Bake cookies in a 375 degree F (190 C) oven for about 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven; cool on wire racks.
6. Spread jam on half of the cookies. Top with remaining 24 cookies. Sift confectioners' sugar heavily over cookie sandwiches.
Makes approximately 24 tea cookies.
Date: June 6, 2003