2 store-bought refrigerated pie crusts, (or make your own pastry for a double crust pie)
3 to 4 cups fresh blueberries
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup tapioca, or all-purpose flour
Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
Tip: Recipe makes enough for one pie but this recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F/220 degrees C. Set aside a 9-inch pie pan.
2. Combine blueberries, lemon juice, sugar and tapioca (or all-purpose flour, if using) in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out one pie crust (to a 13 inch circle) to fit a 9-inch pie pan.
4. Transfer dough to pie pan. Fold edges under, forming high-standing rim and crimp.
5. Place the blueberry mixture into unbaked pie shell.
6. Roll out the second pie crust on lightly floured work surface to a 13-inch circle. Transfer top crust to fit over pie. Trim edges of pie crust, leaving 1/2 inch of dough. Seal and flute edges. With a knife, make a few slits on top of pie crust for steam to escape while pie is baking.
7. Place pie on baking sheet to catch any drips, and bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), then reduce heat to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and bake for 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
8. Remove pie from oven, and cool on wire rack. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. If desired, when ready to serve, place a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream over top of each slice.
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie, 8 servings.
Date: March 18, 2003