1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch rectangular cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, beat sugar, canola oil, eggs and vanilla for 4 minutes.
3. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Add flour mixture alternately with boiling water to the sugar mixture. Beat well after each addition.
5. Pour into prepared 9 x 13 inch (22 x 34 cm) cake pan. Bake 40 minutes, or until cake springs back to the touch. Let cake cool completely before frosting.
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
16 tbsp. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
3 tbsp. light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
In the top pan of a double boiler, combine the bittersweet and unsweetened chocolates. Set the pan over but not touching barely simmering water in the bottom pan and stir until melted. Let cool slightly. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and confectioners’ sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in the corn syrup, vanilla and salt. While beating, gradually add the chocolate and beat until smooth.
Thickly coat the cake with the frosting. Serve immediately or keep covered at room temperature until ready to serve.
Makes about 3 cups frosting.
Date: March 15, 2003