1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter bottom and sides of 8" springform pan. Beat butter and 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar in mixer bowl until well combined and light, beating with electric mixer at high speed, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolks, one at a time, and blend thoroughly.
2. Beat egg whites and salt in another mixer bowl until frothy, using electric mixer at medium speed. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar; increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form.
3. Place chocolate in microwave-safe cup. Microwave on medium (50% power) 1 minute. Stir. Microwave 1 minute more or until chocolate softens. Stir until smooth. Let cool.
4. Fold melted chocolate into butter mixture. Then fold in beaten egg whites. (Do not over-blend; mixture should have a few streaks of white in it.)
5. Fold in bread crumbs and pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until puffed. Place pan on wire rack and cool completely (cake will fall while cooling, forming a flat base for next layer).
Make mousse filling:
1. Put chocolate in bowl of food processor and process for 20 to 30 seconds or until finely ground. Leave chocolate in processor.
2. In small saucepan, combine milk and sugar. Over medium heat, bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly.
3. Turn processor on and pour hot milk in through feed tube. Process until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl with spatula. Add oil and vanilla and process for 5 to 10 seconds more or until mixture is creamy. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
4. In chilled bowl, whisk heavy cream until soft peaks form.
5. Gently fold 1/3 of whipped cream into tepid chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining cream, being careful not to overwork mousse.
6. Carefully spoon creamy mousse evenly over baked layer and smooth top. Chill in refrigerator for about 1 to 2 hours.
Make saffron cream:
1. Whip heavy cream with confectioners' sugar, saffron and vanilla extract.
2. Using portable hair dryer or damp, hot cloth, warm the sides of springform pan. Carefully unclasp and remove side of pan. Spread saffron whipped cream over mousse in dramatic swirls. Serve torte immediately. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Makes 8 servings.
Source: Godiva Chocolates
Date: March 1, 2003