1. Place chocolate, orange zest and butter in the top of a double boiler.
2. Whisk egg whites to soft peaks. Add the 2 tbsp. sugar and continue to beat until stiff but not dry peaks are formed.
3. Remove chocolate from heat. The chocolate should be melted, cool slightly. Beat briskly while adding egg yolks one at a time.
4. Beat half of the egg whites into the chocolate/egg yolk mixture. The consistency should be smooth and light. Fold the remainder of the egg whites in gently, using a spatula.
5. Pour into individual glasses or bowls and refrigerate to set.
For Cherry Reduction:
1. Place the red wine and the 1 cup sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Allow to reduce slightly and add cherries.
2. Continue to cook until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
3. Serve the cherries with the mousse and garnish as desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Date: February 19, 2003