1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 egg whites
3/4 teaspoon vanilla or 2 to 3 drops almond extract
3 1/2 tablespoons water
Butter for cookie sheet
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F/150 degrees C.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Add liquid ingredients and stir until the batter is smooth.
4. Line a cookie sheet with foil; butter foil, or spray with nonstick vegetable coating.
5. Drop level teaspoons (no more) of batter onto the cookie sheet, no more than 6 to a sheet.
6. Spread evenly to a 4 inch diameter.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cookies begin to brown lightly.
8. Remove from the oven and immediately remove 1 cookie with a broad spatula.
9. Place a fortune (See Notes Below on How to Make Fortunes) in the center, fold in half and press back against ledge of counter or muffin pan to form fortune cookie shape.
10. Set cookies in muffin tin to keep their shape until cool.
Continue with the rest of the cookies without delay, as they harden fairly rapidly. If the cookies become too brittle to fold, return to oven for 2 to 3 minutes and try again. Repeat process with remaining batter.
Makes about 20 fortune cookies.
You can change the color of the cookies by adding a drop of food coloring with the liquid ingredients.
To Make your Fortunes:
Print or type your messages on a blank sheet of paper. For an extra nice look, you can use a sheet of paper with a rich texture or thicker bond. Cut each fortune no more than 3/4" wide and 3" long.
Date: January 12, 2003