1 1/2 cups (3 sticks/12 oz./340g) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated or superfine sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Seedless apricot jam (or other flavor jam of your choice)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar and stir in the vanilla extract.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour and salt. Combine the flour mixture and the butter mixture until the dough is crumbly but holds together when pinched.
4. Take a walnut-sized piece of dough in one hand. With the thumb of the other hand, gently knead it three times. Roll it into a ball and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. With your knuckle or thumb, press a well in the center and fill with 1/2 teaspoon of jam.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes and remove from sheet onto cooling rack.
Makes 6 dozen cookies.
Date: January 6, 2003