7 oz. (1 tube) almond paste (not marzipan)* (see note below)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg white
Pinch of salt
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
1. Warm almond paste in microwave (about 30 seconds on low power) until pliable.
2. Using a food processor or electric mixer, cream almond paste and sugar. Add egg white and salt. Mix well.
3. Oil hands lightly before handling mixture (the mixture is sticky, so hands may need to be re-oiled while working). Divide into 12 equal-size balls. Roll between palms into 2- to 3-inch-long cylinders. Roll these in almond slices until coated.
4. Place on slightly greased aluminum foil or other nonstick baking surface on a baking sheet. Bend cylinders into crescent shapes.
5. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes until crescents are cold.
6. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes. Watch carefully during the last few minutes. Crescents should be a very light golden color. Do not over bake.
7. Let sit for a minute and loosen from baking surface using a spatula. Cool completely before handling. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar. Almond crescents will keep for a week in an airtight container, longer refrigerated. They may also be frozen.
Makes 12 mandelhorns (almond horns).
Date: November 30, 2002