Diana's Desserts - www.dianasdesserts.com
See more recipes in Fruit Desserts
Water Chestnut Rubies
in Guest Recipe Book
(total ratings: 1)
[Read reviews] [Post a review]
1/2 cup water
3-4 pieces pandan leaves, knotted
800g peeled, grated coconut
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
500g water chestnuts
1/4 teaspoon red food coloring
1 teaspoon water
1 cup tapioca flour
1. Combine sugar, 1/2 cup of water and pandan leaves in a pot and simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Cool before using (this will be your syrup).
2. Mix grated coconut with 3/4 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Squeeze to make milk. Keep chilled (this will be your coconut milk).
3. Scrub or use small knife to thoroughly clean water chestnuts. Rinse and wash off any dirt. Peel and rinse again. Cut into small cubes, about 5mm in size.
4. Dilute red food colouring with 1 teaspoon of water in a large mixing bowl. Toss the diced water chestnuts into mixture to coat evenly.
5. Roll coloured water chestnuts in tapioca flour until well coated. Shake off excess flour through a fine colander.
6. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the coated water chestnuts and keep stirring. Remove when they float. Keep them soaking in cold water until ready to serve.
Pour 1/2 cup chilled coconut milk into a small dessert bowl with some crushed ice. Add 1/4 cup of "rubies" and a tablespoon of syrup to taste.
Makes 8-10 servings.
|Submitted By: Lee Ying Suan, 9 Years Old|
|Date: July 31, 2005|
Reviewer: Lee Kwan Ting