Diana's Desserts - www.dianasdesserts.com
See more recipes in Chanukah
Sweet Potato and Currant Latkes
in Diana's Recipe Book
|[Be the first to post a review!]|
|Servings: Makes 10 latkes|
3 medium sweet potatoes
1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup dried currants
2 beaten eggs
1/3 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
Applesauce, if desired
1. Peel and finely shred sweet potatoes.You should have 3 cups.
2. In a small mixing bowl pour the boiling water over currants; let stand 5 minutes, then drain. In a large mixing bowl combine beaten eggs, hazelnuts, the currants, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Stir in shredded potatoes.
3. Using 1/3 cup mixture for each latke, press mixture into patties about the size of the palm of your hand, squeezing out excess liquid.
4. Cook in 2 tablespoons cooking oil over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Reduce heat to prevent overbrowning, if necessary. Add additional oil as needed to prevent sticking when cooking remaining latkes.
5. Drain and serve with applesauce or other toppings, if desired.
Makes about 10 latkes.
|Date: November 1, 2002|