Diana's Desserts - www.dianasdesserts.com
See more recipes in Hanukkah
Cheese Blintzes with Honey
in Diana's Recipe Book
|[Be the first to post a review!]|
Food mavens say that cheese courses for dessert are all the rage. Honey-sweetened blintzes may not be exactly what they had in mind, but why let a detail like that stop us? (Note: According to Jewish dietary law, recipes with dairy products may not be eaten along with or following meals featuring meat.)
1 8-ounce carton mascarpone or cottage cheese
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel or snipped lemon verbena
1/4 teaspoon anise seed, crushed
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg white
3/4 cup milk
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons walnut oil or hazelnut oil
1-1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup seedless green grapes, sliced
1. For filling, in a small mixing bowl beat together mascarpone cheese, honey, the 1 tablespoon milk, shredded lemon peel or verbena, and anise seed. Cover; set aside.
2. For blintzes, stir together flour and baking powder. Set aside. In a small mixing bowl beat egg white with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine the 3/4 cup milk, egg yolk, walnut or hazelnut oil, granulated sugar, and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer until well combined. Add flour mixture; beat just until mixture is smooth. Fold in beaten egg white (texture should be that of a milk shake).
4. Spray a nonstick griddle or skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes. For each blintz, pour about 2 tablespoons batter onto griddle. Quickly spread batter to 4- to 5-inch circle.
5. Cook blintz pancake for 20 seconds or until light brown. Gently turn with a spatula; cook second side for 15 seconds. Invert blintz pancake onto a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter to make 10 to 12 blintzes. (You may cook up to 3 or 4 blintzes at a time in a large skillet.) Place a dry paper towel between each layer of blintz pancakes. Cover and keep warm.
6. To serve, spoon 1 slightly rounded tablespoon of cheese mixture across pancake just below center. Fold the bottom of pancake over filling. Fold in sides, then roll up. Arrange blintzes, seam-side down, on individual dessert plates. Top with grapes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 150 , total fat: 10g , saturated fat: 5g , cholesterol: 43mg , sodium: 40mg , carbohydrate: 12g , fiber: 0g , protein: 6g , vitamin A: 1% , vitamin C: 2% , calcium: 3% , iron: 3%
|Source: Better Homes and Gardens Magazine|
|Date: March 14, 2003|